Pronounced ‘cat –eye’, Lake Cathie is a 15 minute drive south from Port Macquarie. The town is a popular holiday destination on the Mid North Coast due to its tranquil location which hosts the lake, lagoon and beaches. The main feature is the tidal lake fed by the ocean daily, however, several times throughout the year the lake is closed over by shifting sands and becomes dark in colour due to the tannins in the local flora. The lake is a popular swimming, fishing and paddling spot all year round, especially when the lake is open.
WHY WE LOVE LAKE CATHIE
- Family friendly swimming at the lake, perfect for stand up paddle boarding, kayaking and fishing
- Middle Rock surf break
- Walk to local café's and restaurants
- A short drive to Port Macquarie and highway
- A true get away
- So many options for day trips
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT WHEN HOLIDAYING IN LAKE CATHIE:
Great surfing and swimming beaches
Shell and driftwood collection
Rejuvenating your senses
Great fishing spots
Dog friendly beaches
ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS SUITABLE FOR:
Travellers that enjoy natural beauty and piece and quiet.
Travellers that love outdoor activities
Travellers up and down the coast that are looking for a break
NOT SUITABLE FOR: Entertainment , party crowd
SAMPLE ITINERARY – LAKE CATHIE
Day 1 Explore the local area
- Explore the lake and beaches.
- Hire a Stand Up Paddle board at the lak
- Pack a picnic lunch and enjoy a relaxing afternoon by the water at Perch Hole picnic area.
- Enjoy some fishing and swimming and explore by kayak or canoe.
Day 2 Southern beach towns and mountain
- Drive or climb up North Brother mountain
- Stroll along North Haven breakwall.
- Eat fresh oysters and seafood for lunch
- Head over to Dunbogan and stop by the Boatshed for a coffee and feed the fish or hire a boat
- Refresh in the lake
Day 3 Port Macquarie
- Visit Port Macquarie – do all or part of the 9 klm Coastal Walk Have lunch at one of the amazing restaurants in Port Pick your own strawberries at Ricardo’s Tomatoes & Strawberries
Day 4 Tour
- Whale watching tour (in season May-Nov)
- Winery and brewery tour
- Takeaway dinner by the lake
Day 5 Dunbogan and Diamond Head, Crowdy Bay NP
- Drive to Dunbogan and continue along the Boulevard to Camden Head and do one of the hikes to Point Perpendicular at Kattang National Park. Enjoy the blow holes and views towards Diamond Head.
- Cool off at Pilot Beach – sheltered swimming inside the breakwall.
- When leaving Dunbogan take a left towards Crowdy Bay NP via gravel road and stop at Diamond Head for surfing, swimming and more hiking.
- Do the route vice versa if you go surfing first, mornings are better in the water before the wind picks up.
Day 6 Day trip to hinterland
Spend the day exploring Wauchope, Byabarra & Comboyne. You’ll find quaint cafes and eateries along the way.
Day 7 Water fun
- Wear the kids out at Stoney Aqua Park – in fact fun for the whole family.
- Spend the afternoon at your favourite beach
- Relax with Fish & Chips sitting on the Town Green