UNWIND IN 'PORT'
Port Macquarie, or 'Port' as the locals call it, is a vibrant regional beach town in NSW on the East Coast in the middle between Sydney and Brisbane, hence the name of the region "Mid North Coast". Port Macquarie can be reached by plane or car. A flight takes 45 minutes from Sydney with Qantas Link and Virgin. By car it is 380 kilometres North of Sydney, about 4 hours drive, Newcastle 2 hours drive. Port Macquarie is South of Brisbane, about 6 hours drive, Gold Coast 5 hours drive, Byron Bay 4 hours drive, Coffs Harbour 2 hours drive.
Live in Port Macquarie evolves around the water and outdoors. There are many National Parks to explore just within a one hour radius, making this an excellent base for further adventures. It has some of the best surfing beaches in NSW such as Town Beach, Flynns, Rainbow Beach (Bonny Hills), North Haven, Point Plomer (Port Macquarie North Shore)
Port Macquarie is home to an active koala populations and Koala hospital.
WHY WE LOVE PORT MACQUARIE:
- Slower pace, a great getaway from the big smoke
- Great uncrowded beaches with many hidden covers
- Gourmet locally grown food and locally brewed drinks, trendy cafe's and restaurants.
- Easy to reach by plane and car
- Surf surf surf
DID YOU KNOW?
Port Macquarie was the first penalty colony in the 1800
Port Macquarie greaster area is home to 100,000 residents
Port Macquarie is growing fast, more and more people discover its beauty.
Port Macquarie residents are nature lovers, so please keep our beaches and bushlands.
Over 300 whales travel up and down the coast between May and November
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT WHEN HOLIDAYING IN PORT MACQUARIE
Ocean sounds and ocean views
Great surfing beaches: Town Beach, Flynns beach
Amazing rock pools between Town beach and Oxley Beach
Shell and drift wood collection at Shelly Beach
Rejuvenating your senses, get a spa treatment
Enjoying natural beauty
Active starts of the day
Catch fish straight of the rocks at the breakwall
Beautiful coastal tracks and mountain hikes
Dog friendly beaches where pets roam free, e.g. Oxley Beach, Nobby's Beach
Return home reenergised
Quality time with companions
Eat local farm fresh produce and the best seafood
Watch the whales migrate along the coast from May to November
ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS SUITABLE FOR
Port Macquarie holiday accommodation options range from couples retreats to large, multi-family homes.
Travellers that enjoy natural beauty and yet want to be close to town
Travellers up and down the coast that need a break, you’ll regret staying 1 night only!
Not suitable for:
Entertainment, party crowd
Click here for Port Macquarie accommodation options.
Wine and brewery tours
SAMPLE ITINERARY – PORT MACQUARIE
- Explore the beaches - get wet at Town Beach.
- Grab a coffee at Salty Crew Beach Kiosk Take a stroll along the breakwall into the Town Green
- Relax and listen to live music at a number of Bars on the Green.
- Pick your own strawberries at the award winning Ricardoes Tomatoes and Strawberries plus sample their preserves and enjoy morning tea in their Café Red.
- Enjoy your day with a visit to the region’s six wineries : • Bago Vineyards & Maze • Roses Vineyard & Animal Farm • Long Point Vineyard • Cassegrain Winery • Innes Lake Vineyards • Douglas Vale Vineyard
- Start with some Vitamin SEA at the popular Flynns Beach
- Visit Tacking Point Lighthouse
- Call in to Sea Acres Rainforest Centre
- Stop by the Koala Hospital – there’s a Walk & Talk Tour at 3pm. Adjacent is the historic Roto House – one of the oldest buildings in Port Macquarie
- Start the say with doing all or part of the Coastal Walk. The 9klm track starts at the breakwall on Town Green ending at Lighthouse Beach.
- Visit Billabong Koala and Wildlife Park – pat a koala & a dingo
- Relax at your holiday home
- Take a drive to the Camden Haven via Lake Cathie & Bonny Hills
- Climb or drive up North Brother Mountain Head over to Dunbogan and stop by the Boatshed for a coffee and feed the fish or hire a boat
- Continue along the Boulevard to Camden Head and do one of the hikes to Point Perpendicular at Kattang National Park.
- Cool off at Pilot Beach – sheltered swimming inside the breakwall.
- Stroll along North Haven breakwall Enjoy some local oysters
Spend the day exploring Wauchope, Byabarra & Comboyne. You’ll find quaint cafes and eateries along the way.
- Wear the kids out at Stoney Aqua Park – in fact fun for the whole family.
- Spend the afternoon at your favourite beach
- Relax while sampling local Fish & Chips sitting on the Town Green